The Story of Orr Reed Wrecking
At the conclusion of World War II, Charles Orr set out to build a
new business in post-war Dallas. Determined not to waste his capital,
primarily his mustering-out pay from the Army, he partnered with his
friend James Reed, who had a little money raised from selling a herd of
goats, to open a new business. Together the two men formed Orr Reed
Wrecking in 1946. Orr Reed Wrecking has been deconstructing/demolishing
many of Dallas' finest old homes and businesses in the 62 years since
that time. From the beginning, the company's leaders recognized not only
the profitability of saving Dallas' history, but also, more
importantly, the social benefits of recycling and preserving the
architectural heritage of Dallas.
Today Orr Reed continues to supply the public with treasures such as antique lumber, architectural doors and mantels, hardwood flooring, wrought iron fencing, architectural elements of all types, and plenty of "good ol' junk."
Orr Reed still exists as Dallas' premier salvage yard, known to
everyone from top designers to household handymen as the place to go for
useful and interesting used material.